FSSAI asks food biz to comply with new packaging norms by July 1
The Food Safety and Standards Authority of India FSSAI notified the new food packaging regulations, replacing all provisions regarding the packaging requirements prescribed in the Food Safety and Standards Packaging and Labelling Regulations, 2011. The new packaging norms, the regulator asked food businesses to comply with new regulations by July 1, 2019. The new regulations bar the use of recycled plastics and newspapers to wrap food article. Taking into cognizance the importance of packaging in the food sector and its impact on food safety, the regulator FSSAI has separated the packaging regulations from the labeling regulations and a separate Scientific Panel for food packaging has been planned.
- The regulations prohibit packaging material made of recycled plastics including carrying bags for packaging, storing, carrying or dispensing articles of food.
- Considering that the inks and dyes may lead to the formation of Cancer, the norms also prohibit the use of newspaper and such other materials for packing or wrapping of food articles.
- New regulations also prescribe overall migration and specific migration limits of contaminants for plastic packaging materials.
- It specifies the suggestive list of packaging materials to be used for different food product categories.
- The regulations state respective Indian standard for printing inks for use on food packages.
- The packaging materials used for packing or storing the food products should conform to the Indian standards provided in the schedules.