Jalaj Srivastava appointed Chairman of Inland Waterways Authority of India
Union Government has appointed senior IAS officer Jalaj Srivastava as chairman of Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI). IWAI comes under Union Ministry of Shipping, Road Transport and Highways, currently headed by Nitin Gadkari. Srivastava, presently working as Additional Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture. Earlier he had also served as chairman of New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) and Principal Secretary, Department of VAT, Delhi government.
About Jalaj Srivastava
- He is 1984 batch Indian Administrative Service (IAS) officer. Prior to this appointment, he was Additional Secretary, Ministry of Agriculture.
- Earlier he had also served as chairman of New Delhi Municipal Corporation (NDMC) and Principal Secretary, Department of VAT, Delhi government.
- He is credited with the launch of various programmes and schemes including Wi-Fi in the market areas.
- He is also known for launching “Shakti Cab” project and “URJA” project for women when he was with Delhi government.
- He is also considered as a man behind the start of “Rahagiri” event that takes place every Sunday in the national capital to promote culture and sports.
- Similarly, some of his other initiatives were green waste management, outdoor gymnasium in parks and gardens and rooftop solar city projects. He is also the writer of crime thriller novel titled ‘The Perfect Suicide.
Inland Waterways Authority of India (IWAI)
- It is the nodal statutory body in charge of development and regulation of inland waterways for shipping and navigation.
- It was established in October 1986 and is headquartered in Noida, Uttar Pradesh Its main function is to build necessary infrastructure in inland waterways, surveying economic feasibility of new projects and also carrying out administration and regulation.
- It undertakes projects for development and maintenance of IWT infrastructure on national waterways through the grant received from Ministry of Shipping.