Rashtriya Ekta Diwas 2018 observed to commemorate 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Patel
India observed Rashtriya Ekta Diwas, also known as National Unity Day, on October 31, 2018, to commemorate the 143rd birth anniversary of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel, the Iron Man of India. On this occasion, Home Minister Rajnath Singh flagged off the ‘Run for Unity’ from Major Dhyanchand Stadium. He also administered unity pledge to the participants.
Later, Prime Minister Narendra Modi will dedicate world’s tallest ‘Statue of Unity’ to the nation at Kevadiya in Narmada district of Gujarat. The Prime Minister would also unveil the ‘Wall of Unity’, a wall created with the earth samples collected from various states across the country. The statue has been designed by Padma Bhushan-winning sculptor Ram V Sutar and has been built by Larsen and Toubro and the state-run Sardar Sarovar Narmada Nigam Ltd. It took about 250 engineers and 3,400 laborers to construct the statue in 33 months.
Rashtriya Ekta Diwas 2018
- Several events are being held by various Ministries, Public Sector Undertakings and organizations across the country to celebrate the Day. The Central Armed Police Forces will actively participate in State-level and other field level functions and will organize March pasts.
- The Surya Kiran of the Air Force will perform aerobatics in the sky over the statue while spreading the colors of the Indian flag in the sky. A team of Jaguar fighter aircraft will also fly, and a team of MI-17 choppers will shower rose petals on the statue.
- The Ministry of Information and Broadcasting will telecast the film ‘Sardar’ on Doordarshan, play radio and TV jingles and will run features on the life and achievements of Sardar Patel.
- The Ministry of Railways will organize pledge and March Past at its Zonal and Divisional Headquarters. the Ministry of Housing and Urban Affairs, various events such as Run for Unity, pledge, floral tribute, competitions involving all citizens of Tier-I and Tier-II cities including SMART and AMRUT cities and towns will be organized.
- The National School of Drama will organize a special play on Sardar Patel. Cultural programmes and folk dance performances by artists from Gujarat, Punjab, Assam, and Mizoram have also been planned.
About Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel
- He was Born on October 31, 1875, Sardar Patel was a lawyer by profession. He was one of the founding fathers of the Republic of India and the architect of modern political India.
- Popularly known as the Iron Man, Patel was addressed as ‘Sardar’, which means Chief or leader.
- In 1946, during Congress elections, thirteen out of sixteen states chose Sardar Patel as their president, who was the more popular candidate for the first Prime Minister of independent India than Jawaharlal Nehru. However, upon Mahatma Gandhi’s behest, he stepped down as a candidate and endorsed Jawaharlal Nehru instead.
- Eventually, Sardar Patel became the first deputy Prime Minister and Home Minister of India in 1947. He is acknowledged for the political integration of over 500 princely states into the independent Indian Union. He united 565 princely states to be part of India.
- In 1991, Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel awarded the Bharat Ratna posthumously. The ‘National Unity Day’ or Rashtriya Ekta Diwas commemorates Sardar Patel every year on 31 October.