Union Cabinet approves 10% reservation for economically weak among upper caste

The Union Cabinet has approved 10 percent reservation in jobs and educational institutions for the economically weak sections in the general category. The reservation benefit is likely to be availed by those whose annual income is below Rs 8 lakh and have up to five acres of land,The bill is designed to amend the Constitution to extend 10 percent reservation in direct recruitment in government jobs and for admission in higher educational institutions to “economically weaker” sections among all castes and communities, Christians and Muslims included, who are not eligible under the existing quotas.

 

Key Highlights

  • The government has announced quota in jobs for all the weaker sections, including the upper castes who earn less than Rs 8 lakh per year
  • The reservation will also be availed for admission in higher educational institutions.
  • The 10 percent reservation will be in addition to the existing cap of 50 percent reservation for the Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and the Other Backward Classes, taking the total reservation to 60 percent. The quota targets the poor among the upper castes.
  • This will be over and above 50 percent mandated by Constitution and hence the need for Constitution amendment Bill.
  • The New clauses would be added to Articles 15 and 16 of the Constitution which presently allow the State to make the reservation for only Scheduled Castes, Scheduled Tribes, and for socially or educationally backward classes (Other Backward Classes or OBCs).